Monday, February 20, 2012

MISSING FUNCTIONALITY? PLEASE HELP

I think I am missing something, and this something I could achieve with Enterprise Manager. How do I copy one object, lke a table, including primary keys, indexed and triggers, plus data, from one SQL Server to another, or a set of tables? I am at a loss. Of I choose "Copy Data", that is not the same because the table data is copied, but nothing else, not even the primary key gets transferred. So the arriving table is --quite frankly-- useless. What do I do with a table that lacks keys, constraints, indexes and triggers?. On the other hand, I don't see any click-and-shoot way to transfer the missing information for one single or a few tables together. If I script the table, the table gets dropped and recreated, so I lose the data. In the older Enterprise Manager, you cold choose "transfer objects", and everything moved along, data and script, so the arriving table could be used immediately.
Am I going blind or somebody dropped the ball here?

There is a "Transfer Objects Task" in SSIS which does this. I don't know if it gets used by the import/export wizard cos I've never looked at it but the fact that you can't find it probably means that it isn't in which case you'll have to build your own package to do this. Which won't be at all difficult.

-Jamie|||Jamie is correct. The transfer objects functionality does not appear in the wizard, but is available in the SSIS package designer.|||[Transfer SQL Server Objects Task] Error: Execution failed with the following error: "Cannot apply value null to property Login: Value cannot be null..".

To make the problem more clear: I don't need to transfer logins, just the tables, views, stored procedures, user data types, user-defined functions and defaults.

I think that Microsoft watered down the Enterprise Manager, and is doing exactly what they did with VB6 on Vb.NET, take away the best of the tool: in that case it was change-and-contine, and in the case, the wizards became useless. In any case, I built a package and get the error above all the time, no matter what database I intend transfer from SQL 2000. How do I get around this? I can not start working until I transfer my objects and data, so I need some help here, not just some philosophical advice.
If it takes a lot of steps to achieve what we did with one single wizard, the somebody dropped the ball at Microsof. The "Export Data" should allow the user to select all the details of the transfer. I manage close to 20 SQL Server production machines, and I use that transfer wizard day in and day out.|||Funny you bring this up, we were doing some migrations earlier. I have blogged about it here: http://jason.blogsource.com/

Hope this helps steer you in the right direction...|||I read you blog but I can not guess what the reaso for my error is. Any ideas?|||I was referring to your earlier problem: where you could get tbl structures but not data.... The method I illustrated does add extra steps but is a way if you are desperate.|||

So I assume that you in fact used a package to transfer entire databases from SQL 2000 to SQL 2005 and it worked? you never got the error that I am getting?

Message: Execution failed with the following error: "Cannot apply value null to property Login: Value cannot be null..".

I wonder what is possibly the matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment