Monday, March 26, 2012

Model database recovery planning

I cannot think of any reason, in our environment, why I would recover the model database. Change framework has all databases coming from DEV & QA before landing on PROD. We have never used the model database as framework of new databases either.

So, if I discontinued backup of the database, what is my recovery method if it become corrupt? Since mine is not used, can I simply copy it from another server?

Just keep either a BACKUP or a copy of the mdf/ldf files in safe storage.|||Just use the create script in your \install folder to recreate your model db.|||

Just be aware that it is an ESSENTIAL database in your system. There is one circumstance under which you do use it automatically for creating a database, and that is the initialisation of your tempdb every time you start the SQL Server service.

My understanding is that if model is not available then tempdb cannot be initialised and SQL Server will not start.

No comments:

Post a Comment