Friday, March 30, 2012

Modification of MsDTSSrvr.ini.xml does not work in June CTP

Hi,

I thought msdtssrvr.ini.xml controls package browsing, registration, and general management within SSMS. It is controlled by the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSDTS\ServiceConfigFile registry key.

I've attempted to modify this config file so I can add some custom folders to group packages logically but they all failed. It seems that SSMS totally ignores the config file and only load File System and MSDB sub-folders under Stored Packages folder in Object Explorer. Below is a sample of changes I made to the config file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<DtsServiceConfiguration xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<StopExecutingPackagesOnShutdown>true</StopExecutingPackagesOnShutdown>
<TopLevelFolders>
<Folder xsi:type="SqlServerFolder">
<Name>MSDB</Name>
<ServerName>.</ServerName>
</Folder>
<Folder xsi:type="FileSystemFolder">
<Name>File System</Name>
<StorePath>..\Packages</StorePath>
</Folder>
<Folder xsi:type="FileSystemFolder">
<Name>Dev Packages</Name>
<StorePath>c:\SSIS</StorePath>
</Folder>
</TopLevelFolders>
</DtsServiceConfiguration>
Any ideas?

Thanks
Haidong Ji
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/hji/Did you restart the service?|||

Aha, that was it. After I restarted the service, it did read the additional folders I added to the config file. Darn it, I should have tried it myself;) But again, this is the beauty of community.

Thanks a lot Kirk. You made my day;) By the way, I also enjoyed your blogs. They are very informative.

Haidong Ji

|||

Hi,

1. How do i know if i'm using June CTP?

2. I'd like to change the default file system deployment folder when i dblclick the deploymentmanifest file from the '<programfiles>\MSSQL\DTS\packages...' to 'C:\SSIS\Packages'. Is this config file the file to edit?

I tried changing '..\Packages' to 'C:\SSIS\' and restarted my service. When i clicked the manifest and chose file system, the default was still '...DTS\Packages...'.

Need some help.

No comments:

Post a Comment