Friday, March 30, 2012

modifing a running trace

Is there a way to modify a running trace without stopping and re-createing it?
I have a trace running for SOX Audting and I need to add a new user to be
traced.
I created the trace in a script not the GUI in EM.
When I created it I used the following code to ignore this user and now I
need to add him to the trace:
exec sp_trace_setfilter @.TraceID, 11, 0, 7, N'jsisserly'
I have the trace writing out to files, and I am up to approx #1000. If I
stop the trace I will need to move the file out of the directory, and
re-start at #1. I am hoping to avoid renumbering.
TIA,
Joe
jaylou wrote:
> Is there a way to modify a running trace without stopping and
> re-createing it?
> I have a trace running for SOX Audting and I need to add a new user
> to be traced.
> I created the trace in a script not the GUI in EM.
> When I created it I used the following code to ignore this user and
> now I need to add him to the trace:
> exec sp_trace_setfilter @.TraceID, 11, 0, 7, N'jsisserly'
> I have the trace writing out to files, and I am up to approx #1000.
> If I stop the trace I will need to move the file out of the
> directory, and re-start at #1. I am hoping to avoid renumbering.
> TIA,
> Joe
Why not use an auto-numbering scheme for the trace file names or just
add the current date/time to the suffix of the trace file name. You need
to stop the trace in order to change its filter criteria.
David Gugick
Quest Software
www.imceda.com
www.quest.com
|||Thanks,
That was what I was afraid of
Joe
"David Gugick" wrote:

> jaylou wrote:
> Why not use an auto-numbering scheme for the trace file names or just
> add the current date/time to the suffix of the trace file name. You need
> to stop the trace in order to change its filter criteria.
> --
> David Gugick
> Quest Software
> www.imceda.com
> www.quest.com
>
|||Hi Jaylou
I have a system that takes care of this & various other SQL Profiler
management issues. It's soon to be released to market but is available for
testing now if you're interested at www.gajsoftware.com (to get the eval,
you simply sig up, activate your account & visit the "editions" page).
Basically it provides for multi-server, schedulable, template based profiler
management. If you change the profiler template (via an easy to use gui),
the background trace management service will automatically re-configure the
trace for you & take care of the file rollover issues.
Regards,
Greg Linwood
SQL Server MVP
"jaylou" <jaylou@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:724A9BBE-FCFC-4401-B42A-91CFF5EA5CD5@.microsoft.com...
> Is there a way to modify a running trace without stopping and re-createing
> it?
> I have a trace running for SOX Audting and I need to add a new user to be
> traced.
> I created the trace in a script not the GUI in EM.
> When I created it I used the following code to ignore this user and now I
> need to add him to the trace:
> exec sp_trace_setfilter @.TraceID, 11, 0, 7, N'jsisserly'
> I have the trace writing out to files, and I am up to approx #1000. If I
> stop the trace I will need to move the file out of the directory, and
> re-start at #1. I am hoping to avoid renumbering.
> TIA,
> Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment